✔ Do-it-yourself holiday gifting is a great way to save money.
✔ You can create one-of-a-kind, personalized gifts without spending a lot.
✔ DIY ideas can include baking, crafting, or making a personal gift.
If you’re looking for ways to save money this holiday season, we’re here to help with do-it-yourself (DIY) ideas that everyone on your list will love. In addition to looking for deals and setting an overall spending limit, do-it-yourself gifts are a wonderful way to show someone you care without spending a lot. From food and handmade crafts to spa-like bath treats, there are DIY options for every budget. Here are a few suggestions that don’t take a lot of time or money to help you get started. It’s time to get inspired!
Treat them to something sweet
Want to give your loved ones a tasty treat this holiday season? The possibilities are endless. Here are just a few ideas to give the gift of homemade goodies:
- Carry on or start a tradition of giving friends and family members some homemade cookies or other baked goods, or try something new. Give out homemade jam or preserves, or try your hand at making decadent chocolate truffles (not only are these delicious but they’re bound to impress just about anyone). Homemade hot chocolate stirrers are a big hit with kids of all ages—dip them in festive sprinkles for an added touch!
- For the bakers on your list, consider giving them a mason jar filled with the dry ingredients for your favourite cookies (be sure to include the full recipe and instructions). You can do the same thing with chocolate chip pancakes, cinnamon waffles and other treats.
- Don’t forget simple treats like Rice Krispie squares, holiday Chex Mix and candied nuts. These are easy, affordable crowd-pleasers that make a great gift—just put them in a festive container and you’re all set!
- Write out several of your favourite family recipes on nice recipe cards. Add this heartfelt touch to any of the ideas above for an extra special gift.
Create a one-of-a-kind gift
If you have a hobby or special skills for making things yourself, you’ve got a head start on your DIY holiday. Consider making a personalized holiday gift for everyone on your list, here are a few ways you can put your special skills to use:
- Make a painting of a favourite spot or landscape.
- Knit a scarf, hat or mittens.
- Sew something truly unique for them – if they love to cook, make them an apron.
- Or create a one-of-a-kind experience like a home spa day or scavenger hunt to all your favourite family spots.
Make it personal
A simple yet thoughtful gift is always a winner, so get personal this holiday season. Consider these ideas:
- Create a playlist of songs you’ve chosen specifically for that person, explaining why you picked each one.
- Shop around for a cool piece of art or vintage jewellery at a thrift shop or online.
- Get a nice notebook or journal and write a personal inscription inside.
- You can also prepare a decorated box full of meaningful but inexpensive items (for example, their favourite candy or chocolate bar, their favourite tea, a $5 gift card to their favourite coffee shop, some cozy socks and lip balm, among other things).
All of these DIY ideas are nice ways to show someone you’ve put a lot of thought and effort into their gift, even if it didn’t cost a lot of money. It goes to show that the old saying is true—it really is the thought that counts!
Need access to money this holiday season? We are here to help.
If all of your efforts to save money this holiday season still leave you a little short, we can help with personalized loans for as little as $500. Visit your local easyfinancial branch or give us a call at 1-888-502-3279 to discuss your options.
Disclaimer: This content is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial advice on any subject matter.